BOOKMARKS SEARCH LOGIN

Synagogue

The 17th century Synagogue, which has been located in the Jewish Ghetto since 1634, is a structure made of exposed masonry.
It features five windows with Istrian stone window sills and a prayer room with a bifocal plan, along with a wooden Aròn (sacred cupboard) and Bimàh (reading podium). Of particular interest is the original Bimàh balustrade, which is carved with gold-covered scrolls depicting plant motifs.

The establishment of the Ghetto in 1633, following a papal decree by Pope Urban VIII, created an autonomous city within Senigallia with its own religious, administrative, and judicial organization. For two centuries, until the Unification of Italy, the Ghetto served as a compulsory residence for the Jewish population of Senigallia. At its peak, the Ghetto could accommodate up to a thousand people.

Icona calendario
email icon
Always connected with Senigallia Subscribe to the newsletter

Feel Senigallia will remind you what to do and what exciting news is in the city (and surrounding areas).

Please enable the javascript to submit this form