Historical period: Renaissance
Piazza Roma is a real agora and the administrative heart of the town. The 17th-century Palazzo del Governo (Town hall) overlooking the square was built by Francesco Maria II Della Rovere in 1609. The project of Urbino’s architect Muzio Oddi was completed in 1644.
The front of the town hall is decorated with Fontana del Nettuno (Neptune’s Fountain), popularly known as "l'monc' in piazza'" because of the two missing arms. The origin of the statue is unknown, although some have proposed a Roman origin, while according to others it is a work of art from Gianbologna’s school.